The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) anticipates global cruise passengers to grow slightly from 21.3 million in 2013 to 21.7 million in 2014.
Global Cruise Itineraries and Ship Deployment
The below graphic showcases a breakdown of global cruise ship participation, with Caribbean and Mediterranean deploying the most ships.
2014 Top Global Trends
- Continued development and availability of technology to facilitate and lower the cost of onboard communication and efficient passenger servicing e.g. communicating itineraries and onboard schedules via mobile devices.
- Expectation of passenger growth by the Millennial generation based on population size and positive experiences cruising with their parents. Cruise lines are starting to cater to this generation; starting to create the right positioning and experiences.
- A resurgence in luxury, based on improving economy and increased consumer confidence
- More all-inclusive packages in accommodation, services, and amenities to improve customer satisfaction. Choices can be easily configured and customized online where consumers can make selections based on their interests.
- An increase in multi-generational and celebration travel for all markets with larger sized families travelling together, as well as social affinity groups.
- Active vacations at sea catering to the new, emerging Millennial generation
- River cruises are the fastest growing segment within the cruise industry, with half of the 16 new ships being introduced globally in 2014 being river cruising ships.
- Longer stay overs in destinations giving people more time to immerse in local cultures.
- Hot itineraries include Trans Pacific, World Cruises, US Rivers, South America, Antarctic, Middle East, Canada / New England, Africa, and Exotic Rivers.
- Shorter cruises, mainly within the US, targeted at first-time cruisers so they can experience what cruising is all about.
The majority of cruise passengers for all cruise destinations come from the USA followed by the UK & Ireland and Germany. Asia is an emerging market and it is expected to see a substantial growth from this market in the coming years.
For up-to-date trends and global outlook, please go to the Cruise Lines International Association – North West & Canada website: nwcruiseship.org.* CLIA-North West & Canada Cruise Brief – January 2014